Monday, February 16, 2009

Aldabra Giant Tortoise FDC from India!

Hi! On Saturday, I received a "Registered Article Delivery Advice" slip telling me that I have a registered cover from India, which the Postman failed to deliver as i was not at home, and that I have to make a trip to the Post office to collect it or to call them to arrange for a re-delivery date. The delivery advice slip showed a scanned picture of my registered mail. It was an Aldabra Giant Tortoise FDC issued in India! I was excited!
Here is the Delivery advice.
So today I visited the Post office and here is the beautiful cover that i received.
These stamps were issued on 02nd August 2008 to commemorate Adwaitya, an Aldabra Giant Tortoise who died in Alipore Zoological Garden in Kolkata, India in 2006. He was perhaps the longest living animals in the world having lived for more than 250 years!
This was the first time that India Post issued stamps of hexagonal i.e. they have six sides. The cover took 5 days to travel an estimated distance of 3,077km or 1,912 miles from Trivandrum, India.

I would like to thanks Dr. Biju for this wonderful cover. Thank You!

1 comment:

  1. Its really nice to know about advice slip of Post Office regarding arrival of registered article with scan of front side of the article. I have never seen such item. It is new addition to postal history.

    prashantpandya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails