Friday, January 23, 2009

Today is THE DAY

So here is it! After reading so many weblogs on stamps... i have decided to give it a try and start my own blog on philatelic. Like almost every other stamps collectors, I started this hobby since i was a kid in primary school... stopped for a while... and only came back to stamp collecting a few years ago.
My objective of this blog is to share my growing stamps collection and most importantly is to get to know more like-minded friends from all over the world.
About myself... my name is edmund, 32 years old, lives in Singapore... fond of stamps. Apart from philately, I love nature and animals especially tortoises and turtles, travelling around the world and supporting my favourite soccer team Manchester United!

For a start, i would like to post a set of my favourite stamps which i have just acquired a few weeks back... these stamps never fail to make me smile and brighten up my day! These beautiful stamps are issued on 15 May 2008, from the island of Guernsey, Channel Islands which are renowned for their beautiful and quality stamps. The set of six stamps featuring Mr.Happy, Mr.Bump, Little Miss Naughty, Mr.Greedy, Mr.Strong & Mr. Tickle are in values of 34p, 40p, 48p, 51p 53p and 74p respectively. Huge publicity has been arranged for the issue in the hope of attracting young children into the hobby of stamp collecting. Well done!!

Background of Mr.Men & Little Miss stamps

The late Roger Hargreaves lived in Guernsey and to celebrate his success as one of Britain most popular authors and illustrators a set of six bright and cheery stamps have been produced.
How the stories and characters came into being is a charming example of how closely Roger Hargreaves connected with children and their love of easily identifiable characters and their mishaps and adventures.
In 1971, Roger, then working in an advertising agency, was asked by his son, Adam, what a tickle looked like. Hargreaves senior drew a round, cheerful orange face with long bendy arms, designed to reach anyone's tickly spots and Mr Tickle was born.
Our favourite Mr Men - Messrs Bump, Greedy, Nosey and Strong - were designed soon after, the Mr Men books sold a million copies in just three years and a publishing sensation was born.
While children's tastes are notoriously fickle, moving from one 'in' character to the next, their love for these delightful characters has not waned and three decades on, they are part of childhoods all around the world.

For more info on Mr. Men, click here

1 comment:

  1. When I was a child, I dug those books! I recently found them on the attic and still like them ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails